Thursday, October 20, 2011

Franklin Cristo


I just love baby heads...actually doll arms are my favorites.  I hate to say it, but it all started with a church relic I inherited from my Catholic aunt and uncle who worked in the foreign service, given to them with several others when they lived in Guanajuato, Mexico, in the late 1960s.  [WARNING: If you are easily offended don't read the following.] The relics were taken from a local Catholic church in the early part of the 20th century by some parish members during the time of anti-Christian, and in particular, anti-Catholic persecution by the Mexican government.  A child's arm (maybe even of the baby Cristo himself) was all that they had of the figure, and it came to me.  I lost the arm during a divorce, and have been looking for a replacement ever since.
Fast forward to Asheville.  Ever on the hunt, I found this delightfully suspicious disassembled baby torso at the Screen Door.  The more I looked at it the more I was reminded of a creepy Twilight Zone episode called "The Fever" that ends with the gambling protagonist being tortured by slot machines uttering, whispering, and mockingly hissing his name.  Long story about how it relates to the baby head shown here (I'll have to relate that one later), but trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment